SHIPBUILDING READINESS TRAINING PROGRAM
Please be reminded that applications for the Shipbuilding Readiness Training Program close Friday, 25 September 2020. School presentations held recently outlined the exciting opportunity to join ASC Shipbuilding as a School Based Apprentice in 2021.
Applications are open for 22 Apprentice positions as follows:
- 14 Apprentice Steelworkers (Boilermaker/Welder – Heavy Fabrication)
- 2 Apprentice Sheet Metal workers (Light Fabrication)
- 4 Apprentice Pipe Fitters (Boilermakers)
- 2 Apprentice Electricians
Eligibility and selection criteria and how to apply can be found at the BAE Systems Australia website: click here.
CERTIFICATE IV CYBER SECURITY TRAINEESHIP
Applications are still being accepted for the Certificate IV Cyber Security Traineeship with Accenture. Girls are particularly encouraged to apply.
Applications close Sunday, 20 September. Please click here for more information.
Mr Kevin Woolford, VET Coordinator
YEAR 12 STUDENTS
Students and parents were recently contacted via SEQTA in relation to very important opportunities and deadlines. Some of the topics covered in the SEQTA message were:
- Flinders University Year 11 Grades Conditional Offer: Deadline 24 September
- TAFE SA – Many TAFE SA courses are becoming “competitive”, meaning that your applied date is often the basis for selection. Students interested in a TAFE SA course are encouraged to apply via the SATAC website as soon as possible. Please note applications are free.
- University of Adelaide Year 11 Conditional Offer Updates
- 2021 University Applications – The deadline to get one preference on your SATAC application submitted, and to receive your nine digit SATAC registration number is Friday, 30 September.
- Interstate Applications – Students interested in applying for a course interstate must apply within the next 10 days. There may be a supplementary application required that will need to be submitted by the deadline. See page 10 of the SATAC Guide for links.
- UniSA Support – Applying to UniSA, Pathways and Ordering Preferences Webinar, Tuesday 22 September, 5.30 pm to 6.30 pm.This webinar is designed to provide Year 12 students and parents with information on the SATAC application process, pathways into UniSA and how to order their preferences to get the offer they are hoping for. We encourage interested students and families to register via Eventbrite.
- 1:1 Bookings – For those students who are still looking to speak to a UniSA team member, we will be offering phone appointments moving forward. We will be extending the booking time slots to accommodate your students, so watch this space. To book a phone appointment head to unisa.edu.au/booking
- Scholarship Guide – Study Work Grow
YEAR 11 AND YEAR 12 STUDENTS WORK EXPERIENCE
Any students planning to do Work Experience at some “approved” stage during Week 10 to the end of Week 1 Term 4, would have now lodged their paperwork with Mr Vizaniaris. Students are then booked in for a Risk Assessment and to finalise placement approval and final preparation. No student should be going out over the next few weeks unless Mr Vizaniaris has their paperwork. Students would not be covered by the College Insurance Policy and such unapproved placements cannot count towards any VET requirements. If you have any concerns please email Mr Vizaniaris immediately.
THE NATIONAL SKILLS COMMISSION AND EMERGING OCCUPATIONS
The National Skills Commission has a new career website that highlights emerging occupations. Please click here for more information.
INTERNATIONAL COLLEGE OF HOTEL MANAGEMENT (ICHM) FOR YEAR 10 TO YEAR 12 STUDENTS
ICHM will be running a September ‘Careers Week’ from Tuesday 29 September to Friday 2 October 2020. Click here to read some interesting stories from students who have attended ICHM. Interested students are encouraged to apply as soon as possible as due to COVID and social distancing there is limited availability. Note there is a cost of $450 to attend at their Regency Park Campus. The cost can be traded for some initial fees if you enrol in a course at a later date. Click here for more information.
ICHM 2021 Australian Scholarship Application forms are now available for students wanting to apply for the Bachelor of Business (Hospitality Management). The scholarships are valued at $15,000 and the closing date is Wednesday, 14 October 2020. To read more about this opportunity click here, and to access the scholarship applications here.
STUDYING IN THE USA AND SPORTS SCHOLARSHIPS
The US Consulate in Melbourne provide an excellent service to support students considering studying in the US. Samantha Jackson is our South Australian contact and provides many opportunities for students to research options and plan for success. The first port of call is the Facebook Page EducationUSAAustralia.
Core Subjects begin counting from Year 9, so students considering such options need to begin planning from Year 9. Please note that there are many webinars coming up in the holidays:
Tuesday 29 September at 2:00 pm – 3:00 pm
This session provides guidance on U.S. undergraduate study, including university application procedures and standardized testing.
U.S. College Sports
Wednesday 30 September at 4:00 pm – 5:15 pm
Would you like to study at a U.S. College and be recruited as a student-athlete? Would you like to keep it on your list of possible options? This session will address opportunities available through college sports particularly NCAA for students, parents, teachers and coaches. Join us as we simplify the process.
Thursday 1 October at 4:00 pm – 5:15 pm
Are you aspiring to be recruited as a student-athlete at an NCAA division I or II program? Do you understand what the requirements are? Have you mapped out your subject for Years 9-12? Do you understand what the 16 core course requirements are? Or do you just want to make sure you are still on track.
This week Mr Woolford received information about many Apprenticeships, covering Industrial Painting, Second Fix Carpentry, Metal Sheet Fabricating, Cabinet Making and more. Students interested in these positions should email Mr Woolford.
CAREERS AND EMPLOYMENT EXPO SATURDAY 17 OCTOBER AT WAYVILLE SHOWGROUNDS
Whilst the College will not be organising school visits on Friday to the Careers and Employment Expo, families are encouraged to attend the Saturday session. No registration is required, for more information click here.