The development decade
“St Michael's is a dynamic College. In 2005 it has grown to become a popular place of learning comprising of all years of formal schooling – Reception to Year 12. From its very humble beginnings in 1954 it has endeavoured to meet the needs of the families of Western Adelaide in the context of Catholic Education.” – Mr Steve Byrne
St Michael’s celebrates 50 years, 1300 students, two campuses, and Reception to Year 12 education.
The commitment to a Lasallian vision of education remains unchanged.
A new structure comes into play – the De La Salle Brothers would own the College with Brothers on staff, but the Board of Directors would govern the school.
The first lay Principal, Mr Steve Byrne, is appointed, marking a new era.
The College is incorporated as a Company Limited by Guarantee.
The Directors assume full responsibility of the College conduct, with continued fidelity to its Lasallian origins.
Marks the Centenary of the arrival of the De La Salle Brothers in Australia.
Middle Schooling is introduced – Years 8, 9 and 10.
Supportive structures are implemented for students entering the second semester of Year 10.
Classes are double streamed at the Primary Campus.
Enrolments increase by 25%.
The Secondary Campus celebrates its 40th year with a celebratory Assembly.
After the new co-educational Nazareth College is announced, St Michael’s marks the beginning of the formal education of girls at the Secondary Campus. 47 of the 60 girls enrolled were siblings or daughters of current students or old scholars.
The Henley Stage 1 Building project commences.
As part of the Government’s Building Education revolution, $2.5 million is injected into a multi-purpose hall on the site of the existing courts.